Nizhny Novgorod is an administrative center of the Nizhny Novgorod region, and the center of the Volga federal district. The city is fifth most populous among cities of Russia. It’s located where Oka and Volga flows together, in 400 km to the East from Moscow.
Nizhny Novgorod bore the name Gorky during the Soviet system, and its historical name was returned to it only in 1990.
The city was always the center of the industry and information technologies therefore it has been closed for foreigners from 1959 to 1991. But today Nizhny Novgorod is a largest tourist center of Russia, and also a venue of the international exhibitions.
One of the main sights of the city is the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin built at the beginning of the 16th century. The Kremlin is surrounded by vallum with thirteen towers. Only one from the thirteen ancient towers hasn’t been remain till now. This tower is projected to restore. The Archangel Michael cathedral is the only temple survived in the territory of the Kremlin.
Minin and Pozharsky Square is the public, cultural and tourist center of Nizhny Novgorod. It’s located on the southeast part of the Kremlin. Almost all city festivities are carried out here.
Bolshaya Pokrovskaya, the pedestrian street, connects Minin and Pozharsky Square with Lyadov Square. This is one of the most ancient streets of Nizhny Novgorod. Houses located here are mostly two- or three-storyed, most of them built at the beginning of the 20th century.